The Center for Forested Wetlands Research is an interdisciplinary unit whose program is designed to develop, quantify and synthesize ecological information needed to sustainably manage and restore the structure, function and productivity of wetland-dominated forested landscapes. The Center is an integral component of the Forest Watershed Science Unit (SRS-RWU-4353) within the Southern Research Station’s Watershed Science Program.
The Center's work is conducted under the basic tenets of forest sustainability, and is intended to provide the data and tools necessary for managing forested wetland landscapes to sustain ecosystem functions, goods, and services for future generations. Specific applications are focused on issues associated with climate change, carbon cycling, bioenergy and landscape functions. The relevance of the research is regional, national, and international, although it is derived primarily from work in the Atlantic Coastal Plain of the southeastern United States.
News & Events
On April 1, 2021, scientists and experts from the South and across the globe gathered virtually to talk about research on the Santee Experimental Forest. Santee EF is one of 84 sites in the USDA Forest Service Experimental Forest & Range Network. It was founded in 1937, one year after the Francis Marion National Forest was established. The forest is located north of Charleston, South Carolina.
- Evaluation of paired watershed runoff relationships since recovery from a major hurricane on a coastal forest-A basis for examining effects of Pinus palustris restoration on water yield
Amatya, Devendra M.; Herbert, Ssegane; Trettin, Carl C.; Hamidi, Mohammad Daud.
- Large-Scale High-Resolution Coastal Mangrove Forests Mapping Across West Africa With Machine Learning Ensemble and Satellite Big Data
Liu, Xue; Fatoyinbo, Temilola E.; Thomas, Nathan M.; Guan, Weihe Wendy; Zhan, Yanni; Mondal, Pinki; Lagomasino, David; Simard, Marc; Trettin, Carl C.; Deo, Rinki; Barenblitt, Abigail.
- Increased Organohalogen Diversity after Disinfection of Water from a Prescribed Burned Watershed
Olivares, Christopher I.; Uzun, Habibullah; Erdem, Cagri Utku; Zhang, Wenbo; Trettin, Carl; Liu, Yina; Burton, Sarah D.; Robinson, Errol W.; Karanfil, Tanju; Chow, Alex T.
- Mangrove carbon stocks in Pongara National Park, Gabon
Trettin, Carl C.; Dai, Zhaohua; Tang, Wenwu; Lagomasino, David; Thomas, Nathan; Lee, Seung Kuk; Simard, Marc; Ebanega, Medard Obiang; Stoval, Atticus; Fatoyinbo, Temilola E.
- Coarse woody debris decomposition assessment tool: Model development and sensitivity analysis
Dai, Zhaohua; Trettin, Carl C.; Burton, Andrew J.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Forschler, Brian T.; Schilling, Jonathan S.; Lindner, Daniel L.