The Center for Forested Wetlands Research is an interdisciplinary unit whose program is designed to develop, quantify and synthesize ecological information needed to sustainably manage and restore the structure, function and productivity of wetland-dominated forested landscapes. The Center is an integral component of the Forest Watershed Science Unit (RWU-4353) within the Southern Research Station’s Watershed Science Program.
The Center's work is conducted under the basic tenets of forest sustainability, and is intended to provide the data and tools necessary for managing forested wetland landscapes to sustain ecosystem functions, goods, and services for future generations. Specific applications are focused on issues associated with climate change, carbon cycling, bioenergy and landscape functions. The relevance of the research is regional, national, and international, although it is derived primarily from work in the Atlantic Coastal Plain of the southeastern United States.
News & Events
The red-headed woodpecker has enjoyed better days. Over the past five decades, the species has suffered sharp declines in the northern and western parts of its range. While that much is clear, the role of their diets in the declines is not. A recent USDA Forest Service study observed the diets of nestling woodpeckers to aid with conservation efforts.
- Long-term water Table dynamics of forested wetlands: Drivers and their effects on wetland hydrology in the southeastern Atlantic Coastal Plain
Amatya, D. M.; Chescheir, G. M.; Williams, T. M.; Skaggs, R. W.; Tian, S.
- Water conflict management and cooperation between Afghanistan and Pakistan
Atef, Said Shakib; Sadeqinazhad, Fahima ; Farjaad, Faisal ; Amatya, Devendra M.
- Not just urban: The formosan subterranean termite, Coptotermes formosanus, is invading forests in the Southeastern USA
Evans, Theodore A.; Forschler, Brian T.; Trettin, Carl C.
- Measuring mangrove carbon loss and gain in deltas
Lagomasino, David ; Fatoyinbo, Temilola ; Lee, SeungKuk ; Feliciano, Emanuelle ; Trettin, Carl ; Shapiro, Aurélie ; Mangora, Mwita M.
- Working watersheds and coastal systems: research and management for a changing future—Proceedings of the Sixth Interagency Conference on Research in the Watersheds
Latimer, James ; Trettin, Carl C.; Bosch, David D.; Lane, Charles R.