The Center for Forested Wetlands Research is an interdisciplinary unit whose program is designed to develop, quantify and synthesize ecological information needed to sustainably manage and restore the structure, function and productivity of wetland-dominated forested landscapes. The Center is an integral component of the Forest Watershed Science Unit (SRS-RWU-4353) within the Southern Research Station’s Watershed Science Program.
The Center's work is conducted under the basic tenets of forest sustainability, and is intended to provide the data and tools necessary for managing forested wetland landscapes to sustain ecosystem functions, goods, and services for future generations. Specific applications are focused on issues associated with climate change, carbon cycling, bioenergy and landscape functions. The relevance of the research is regional, national, and international, although it is derived primarily from work in the Atlantic Coastal Plain of the southeastern United States.
News & Events
On May 3, 2022 the USDA Forest Service hosted a virtual Santee Experimental Forest Research Forum. More than 40 scientists, researchers, and other partners came together to discuss projects occurring on the Santee Experimental Forest.
- Extreme precipitation-based vulnerability assessment of road-crossing drainage structures in forested watersheds using an integrated environmental modeling approach
Panda, S.S.; Amatya, D.M.; Grace, J.M.; Caldwell, P.; Marion, D.A.
- Estimating daily and seasonal evapotranspiration of a southeastern U S Atlantic coastal plain forest
Amatya, Devendra M.; Fischer, Milan.
- Groundwater and surface-water contamination susceptibility determination through automated geospatial models using combined modeling approach of DRASTIC and RUSLE
Reeves, Zach; Panda, Sudhanshu S.; Pilgrim, Zach; Quyang, Ying; Grace, Johnny M. III; Amatya, Devendra M.
- Wood-decay type and fungal guild dominance across a North American log transplant experiment
Maillard, François; Jusino, Michelle A.; Andrews, Erin; Moran, Molly; Vaziri, Grace J.; Banik, Mark T.; Fanin, Nicolas; Trettin, Carl C.; Lindner, Daniel L.; Schilling, Jonathan S.
- Enhancing landscapes for sustainable intensification and watershed resiliency—Proceedings of the Seventh Interagency Conference on Research in the Watersheds
Latimer, James S.; Bosch, David D.; Faustini, John; Lane, Charles R.; Trettin, Carl C., eds.