Land Use Change & Management Effects Research
Managing wetland landscapes requires a detailed understanding of biotic and abiotic ecosystem processes and their interaction with silvicultural practices.
The sustainability of landscapes containing wetlands depend on the upland influences and downstream outputs which are governed by complex interactions among hydrology, biogeochemical processes, vegetation community dynamics, animal populations, and natural and anthropogenic disturbance regimes.
Factors affecting these landscapes are a growing demand for both timber and non-timber forest products, urbanization and other land use changes, and climate change. Such forces impact forest productivity, water quality, wildlife and fisheries, and ecosystem structure and function.
- Anderson, Heidi M; Gale, Margeret R.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Trettin, Carl C. 2007 Vascular and Non-Vascular Plant Community Response to Silvicultural Practices and Resultant Microtopography Creation in a Forested Wetland.
- Trettin, Carl C. 2004. Water and Soils.
- Cui, J.; Li, C.; Sun, G.; Trettin, C.C. 2005. Linkage of MIKE SHE to Wetland-DNDC for Carbon Budgeting and Anaerobic Biogeochemistry Simulation.
- Sun, Ge; Lu, Jianbiao; Gartner, David L.; Mirra, Masato; Trettin, Carl C. 2000. Water Budgets of Two Forested Watersheds in South Carolina.
- Fairchilds, Lindsay H.; Trettin, Carl C. 2006. History and Legacy of Fire Effects in the South Carolina Piedmont and Coastal Regions.
- Amatya, Devendra; Harrison, Charles, Trettin, Carl. 2007. Water Quality of Two First Order Forested Watersheds in Coastal South Carolina.
- Trettin, C.C.; Laiho, R.; Minkkinen, K.; Laine, J. 2005. Influence of Climate Change Factors on Carbon Dynamics in Northern Forested Peatlands.
- Fissore, Cinzia; Giardina, Christian P.; Kolka, Randall K.; Trettin, Carl C.; King, Gary M.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Barton, Christopher D.; McDowell, S. Douglas. 2008. Temperature and Vegetation Effects on Soil Organic Carbon Quality along a Forested Mean Annual Temperature Gradient in North America.
- Giardina, C.P.; Coleman, M.; Binkley, D.; Hancock, J.; King, J.S.; Lilleskov, E.; Loya, W.M.; Pregitzer, K.S.; Ryan, M.G.; Trettin, C.C. 2005. The Response of Belowground Carbon Allocation in Forests to Global Change.