The Center for Integrated Forest Science (CIFS), a pioneering research program within Forest Research and Development, addresses complex questions that require science to inform natural resource management and policy decisions. Most of these questions require understanding biophysical and human dimensions, and fusing science from the natural and social sciences.
Learn more about our unit and the work we’re doing at forests4thefuture.info.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Enhancing the precision of broad-scale forestland removals estimates with small area estimation techniques
Coulston, John W; Green, P Corey; Radtke, Philip J; Prisley, Stephen P; Brooks, Evan B; Thomas, Valerie A; Wynne, Randolph H; Burkhart, Harold E.
- Estimation of Forest Disturbance from Retrospective Observations in a Broad-Scale Inventory
Coulston, John W.; Edgar, Christopher B.; Westfall, James A.; Taylor, Marcus E.
- Watershed‐scale vegetation, water quantity, and water quality responses to wildfire in the southern Appalachian mountain region, United States
Caldwell, Peter V.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Liu, Ning; Vose, James M.; Zietlow, David R.; Knoepp, Jennifer D.
- Using a hybrid demand-allocation algorithm to enable distributional analysis of land use change patterns
Brooks, Evan B.; Coulston, John W.; Riitters, Kurt H.; Wear, David N.
- Estimating tree canopy cover using harmonic regression coefficients derived from multitemporal Landsat data
Derwin, Jill M.; Thomas, Valerie A.; Wynne, Randolph H.; Coulston, John W.; Liknes, Greg C.; Bender, Stacie; Blinn, Christine E.; Brooks, Evan B.; Ruefenacht, Bonnie; Benton, Robert; Finco, Mark V.; Megown, Kevin.