Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are OPEN.
Upcoming Event: Coweeta “Brown Bag” Seminar Series
Thursday, March 28th, 2019
12:00pm – 1:00pm
“The Kudzu Bug: An Accidental Introduction with Beneficial Effects”
Scott Horn, Entomologist
Insects, Diseases, and Invasive Plants (RWU 4552)
Kudzu is a federally listed noxious weed that occupies more than 7 million acres but in 2009 an unexpected visitor arrived providing hope as a possible biocontrol agent. We initiated a study to learn as much as possible about this new insect and how it might affect kudzu populations. The results were promising but another exotic introduction has dampened excitement and highlighted the complexities of invasion ecology and movement of organisms around the globe.
Coweeta Hydrologic Lab
Otto, North Carolina
Brown Bag Seminars are intended to increase awareness and knowledge of subjects affecting the southern Appalachians and provide an opportunity for researchers and resource managers to come together. Bring your lunch and come join us for a lunchtime seminar in the Coweeta Conference Room. Session will start promptly at 12:00 pm and will be over at 1:00 pm. No reservations are required.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Forests are made of three-dimensional life forms that constantly interact with each other and with the abiotic factors in their environment. A recent study shows how complex those interactions can be.
“Trees growing within an evergreen shrub layer can be almost 20 feet shorter than trees without a shrub layer,” says USDA Forest Service scientist Katherine Elliott.
- Lack of forest tree seedling recruitment and enhanced tree and shrub growth characterizes post-Tsuga canadensis mortality forests in the southern Appalachians
Dharmadi, Sandra N.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Miniat, Chelcy F.
- Understanding the role of regional water connectivity in mitigating climate change impacts on surface water supply stress in the United States
Duan, Kai ; Caldwell, Peter V; Sun, Ge ; McNulty, Steven G.; Zhang, Yang ; Shuster, Erik ; Liu, Bingjun ; Bolstad, Paul V
- Forests, shrubs, and terrain: top-down and bottom-up controls on forest structure
Bolstad, Paul V.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Miniat, Chelcy F.
- Planning for an uncertain future: Restoration to mitigate water scarcity and sustain carbon sequestration
Brantley, Steven T.; Vose, James M.; Wear, David N.; Band, Larry
- Woody bioenergy crop selection can have large effects on water yield: A southeastern United States case study
Caldwell, P.V. ; Jackson, C.R. ; Miniat, C.F. ; Younger, S.E. ; Vining, J.A. ; McDonnell, J.J. ; Aubrey, D.P.