Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently OPEN.
This story map highlights the importance of southern State and private forests in providing drinking water to downstream communities. See the related publication here.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Performing gas-exchange measurements on excised branches - evaluation and recommendations
Missik, J.E.C.; Oishi, A.C.; Benson, M.C.; Meretsky, V.J.; Phillips, R.P.; Novick, K.A.
- Estimates of precipitation IDF curves and design discharges for road-crossing drainage structures: Case study in four small forested watersheds in the Southeastern US
Amatya, D. M.; Tian, S.; Marion, D. A.; Caldwell, P.; Laseter, S.; Youssef, M. A.; Grace, J. M.; Chescheir, G. M.; Panda, S.; Ouyang, Y.; Sun, G.; Vose, J. M.
2021 Journal of Hydrologic Engineering
- Impacts of invasive species in terrestrial and aquatic systems in the United States.
Mayfield, A.E., S.J. Seybold, W.R. Haag, M.T. Johnson, B.K. Kerns, J.C. Kilgo, D.J. Larkin, R.D. Lucardi, B.D. Moltzan, D.E. Pearson, J.D. Rothlisberger, J.D. Schardt, M.K. Schwartz, and M.K. Young.
2021 Invasive Species in Forests and Rangelands of the United States: A Comprehensive Science Synthesis for the United States Forest Sector. Springer International Publishing, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Quantifying the effects of stand age on components of forest evapotranspiration
Oishi, A.C.; Denham, S.O.; Brantley, S.T.; Novick, K.A.; Bolstad, P.V.; Miniat, C.F.
2020 Acta Horticulturae
- Watershed‐scale vegetation, water quantity, and water quality responses to wildfire in the southern Appalachian mountain region, United States
Caldwell, Peter V.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Liu, Ning; Vose, James M.; Zietlow, David R.; Knoepp, Jennifer D.
2020 Hydrological Processes