Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently CLOSED.
This story map highlights the importance of southern State and private forests in providing drinking water to downstream communities. See the related publication here.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Retirement of US fossil fuel-fired power plants will increase water availability
Siddik, Md Abu Bakar; Grubert, Emily; Caldwell, Peter; Marston, Landon T.
2023 Journal of Hydrology
- Riparian buffers increase future baseflow and reduce peakflows in a developing watershed
Gay, Elly T.; Martin, Katherine L.; Caldwell, Peter V.; Emanuel, Ryan E.; Sanchez, Georgina M.; Suttles, Kelly M.
2023 Science of The Total Environment
- Evolving efficiency of inter-basin water transfers in regional water stress alleviation
Duan, Kai; Qu, Shen; Liu, Ning; Dobbs, Gladys R.; Caldwell, Peter V.; Sun, Ge.
2023 Resources, Conservation and Recycling
- Breeding bird abundance and species diversity greatest in high-severity wildfire patches in central hardwood forests
greenberg, Cathryn H.; Moorman, Christopher E.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Martin, Katherine; Hopey, Mark; Caldwell, Peter V.
2023 Forest Ecology and Management
- Working hours, sleep, and fatigue in the agriculture, forestry, and fishing sector: A scoping review
Elliott, K. C.; Lincoln, Jennifer M.; Flynn, Michael A.; Levin, Jeffrey L.; Smidt, Mathew; Dzugan, Jerry; Ramos, Athena K.
2022 American Journal of Industrial Medicine