Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are OPEN.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, Ext 111.
Quantifying the role of National Forest system lands in providing surface drinking water supply for the Southern United States
Forests and water are inextricably linked, and people are dependent on forested lands to provide clean, reliable water supplies for drinking water and to support local economies. This publication provides details at the landscape level about how much of their water supply southern communities receive from federal, state and private forest lands. These results highlight the need for conservation and management of southern forests to ensure clean and dependable water supplies in downstream communities.
News & Events
The planet is changing, and the hydrologic cycle will change along with it. Extreme droughts – as well as extremely wet weather – are expected to become more frequent and more intense. “These changes may interact with topography to affect species composition in unexpected ways,” says Chelcy Miniat.
- Areas of residential development in the southern Appalachian Mountains are characterized by low riparian zone nitrogen cycling and no increase in soil greenhouse gas emissions
Baas, Peter; Knoepp, Jennifer D.; Markewitz, Daniel; Mohan, Jacqueline E.
- Elevated light levels reduce hemlock woolly adelgid infestation and improve carbon balance of infested eastern hemlock seedlings
Brantley, Steven T.; Mayfield, Albert (Bud); Jetton, Robert M.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Zietlow, David R.; Brown, Cindi L.; Rhea, Rusty
- High-resolution precipitation mapping in a mountainous watershed: ground truth for evaluating uncertainty in a national precipitation dataset
Daly, Christopher; Slater, Melissa E.; Roberti, Joshua A.; Laseter, Stephanie H.; Swift, Lloyd W.
- Impact of air pollution induced climate change on water availability and ecosystem productivity in the conterminous United States
Duan, Kai; Sun, Ge; Zhang, Yang; Yahya, Khairunnisa; Wang, Kai; Madden, James M.; Caldwell, Peter V.; Cohen Mack, Erika; McNulty, Steve
- Water yield following forest-grass-forest transitions
Elliott, Katherine J.; Caldwell, Peter V.; Brantley, Steven T.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Vose, James M.; Swank, Wayne