Our mission is to evaluate legal, tax, social, and economic influences on forest resource management and investment, and to develop guidelines that will support the sustainable management of forests.
The most recent mission for SRS-4804 is to improve the economic foundation for natural resource policy and management through research in the following problem areas:
- Economics of Forest Disturbances — Develop joint economic-ecological knowledge of forest disturbance processes (wildfires, insect outbreaks, severe storms) across multiple temporal and spatial scales and understand how policy and management interventions affect economic outcomes under current and changing climatic conditions.
- Forest Policies, Programs and Taxes — Evaluate policies, programs and taxes that influence forests, forest landowners, forest management, and forest ecosystem services.
- Forest Products Markets and Trade — Develop fundamental economic knowledge on the supply and demand conditions for forest products across multiple scales and understand how international trade affects timber product markets in the U.S.
- Forest Ecosystem Services Economics and Policy — Develop fundamental economic knowledge of the supply and demand of market and non-market ecosystem services provided by forests to assist in the development of policies at the local, regional and national levels.
News & Events
Wood is used for an abundance of everyday items — furniture, buildings, paper — so much so that it would be difficult to find a space completely without wood-based products. However, a competing use is emerging: many studies predict that more wood will be used for bioenergy in the future, which could affect that industry and the conventional wood products industry on many levels.
- Economics of WUI/Wildfire Prevention and Education
Butry, David T.; Prestemon, Jeff
- How to fight against southern pine beetle epidemics: An insurance approach
Chen, Xuan ; Goodwin, Barry K.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.
- Developing detailed Shared Socioeconomic Pathway (SSP) narratives for the Global Forest Sector
Daigneault, Adam ; Johnston, Craig ; Korosuo, Anu ; Baker, Justin S.; Forsell, Nicklas ; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Abt, Robert C.
- Competitiveness, certification, and support of timber harvest by community forest enterprises in Mexico
Frey, Gregory E.; Cubbage, Frederick W.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Reyes-Retana, Graciela ; Davis, Robert R.; Megevand, Carole ; Rodríguez-Paredes, Diana ; Kraus-Elsin, Yoanna ; Hernández-Toro, Berenice ; Chemor-Salas, Diana Nacibe.
- Economic benefits of wildfire prevention education
Hermansen-Báez, L. Annie; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Butry, David T.; Abt, Karen L.; Sutphen, Ronda