Our mission is to evaluate legal, tax, social, and economic influences on forest resource management and investment, and to develop guidelines that will support the sustainable management of forests. Learn more about our unit’s mission →
News & Events
Depending on their timing and location, fires can destroy or restore, with little gray area in between. In the early fall of 2016, one specific fire event in Southern Appalachia was unlike any other in recent decades, leaving behind unprecedented devastation once the fire had ceased. From this disastrous fire season comes a recent report authored by USDA Forest Service scientists, led by Natasha James, offering a close analysis of wildfires on public lands in the Southern Appalachians.
- Global timber investments, 2005 to 2017
Cubbage, Frederick ; Kanieski, Bruno ; Rubilar, Rafael ; Bussoni, Adriana ; Olmos, Virginia Morales; Balmelli, Gustavo ; Donagh, Patricio Mac; Lord, Roger ; Hernández, Carmelo ; Zhang, Pu ; Huang, Jin ; Korhonen, Jaana ; Yao, Richard ; Hall, Peter ; Del La Torre, Rafael ; Diaz-Balteiro, Luis ; Carrero, Omar ; Monges, Elizabeth ; Thu, Ha Tran Thi; Frey, Gregory ; Howard, Mike ; Chavet, Michael ; Mochan, Shaun ; Hoeflich, Vitor Afonso; Chudy, Rafal ; Maass, David ; Chizmar, Stephanie ; Abt, Robert
- Searching for win-win forest outcomes: Learning-by-doing, financial viability, and income growth for a community-based forest management cooperative in the Brazilian Amazon
Humphries, Shoana ; Holmes, Thomas ; Andrade, Dárlison Fernandes Carvalho de; McGrath, David ; Dantas, Jeremias Batista.
- Roundwood use by southern wood pellet mills: Findings from timber product output mill surveys
Brandeis, Consuelo ; Abt, Karen Lee.
- Economics of WUI/Wildfire Prevention and Education
Butry, David T.; Prestemon, Jeff
- How to fight against southern pine beetle epidemics: An insurance approach
Chen, Xuan ; Goodwin, Barry K.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.