The unit consists of eleven employees spread out over two locations: eight in Athens, Georgia and three in Gainesville, Florida. Our research program focuses on improving our understanding of how people living in rural, interface, and urban landscapes influence—and are influenced by—the natural environment and ecology of the South.
The unit also consists of a science delivery center called Urban Forestry South, which addresses issues such urban forest management, children and nature connection, tree health, tree biology, health benefits of urban forest ecosystems, and more. This center is jointly funded by SRS and Region 8. Learn more about us →
News & Events
At the national level, bioenergy is seen as a crucial component of a secure and renewable energy plan. Many people view southern forests as prime resources to support the hopeful bioenergy industry. But how is the national agenda for bioenergy received by communities in the South?
- The “efficiency concernn”: Exploring wildfire risk on heirs’ property in Macon‑Bibb County, Georgia, United States of America
Aragon, Amanda ; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra ; Madden, Marguerite ; Goodrick, Scott
- Applying Public Participation Geographic Information Systems for coastal wading bird conservation
Cox, Cody ; Anderson, Christopher J.; Morse, Wayde C.; Schelhas, John
- Exploring diversity in forest management outlooks of African American family forest landowners for ensuring sustainability of forestry resources in the southern United States
Goyke, Noah ; Dwivedi, Puneet ; Hitchner, Sarah ; Schelhas, John ; Thomas, Marc
- Gatekeepers, shareholders, and evangelists: Expanding communication networks of African American forest landowners in North Carolina
Hitchner, Sarah ; Dwivedi, Puneet ; Schelhas, John ; Jagadish, Arundhati
- African American exposure to prescribed fire smoke in Georgia, USA
Johnson Gaither, Cassandra ; Afrin, Sadia ; Garcia-Menendez, Fernando ; Odman, M. Talat; Huang, Ran ; Goodrick, Scott ; Ricardo da Silva, Alan
“Where the sidewalk ends”: sustainable mobility in Atlanta’s Cascade community
Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Himmelfarb, David; Hitchner, Sarah; Schelhas, John; Shepherd, J. Marshall; K.C., Binita
Engaging African American landowners in sustainable forest management
Schelhas, John; Hitchner, Sarah; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Fraser, Rory; Jennings, Viniece; Diop, Amadou
Socioecological disparities in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina
Lewis, Joshua A.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Ernstson, Henrik; Bernik, Brittany; Hazen, Rebecca; Elmqvist, Thomas; Blum, Michael J.
Seminar presented by Dr. Cassandra Johnson Gaither and Eric Kuehler at Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, University of Georgia.
Science of the Seasons: Recreation
July 10, 2017
Mike Bowker and others examine trends in outdoor recreation and the future of recreation on National Forests.
Related publication: Outlook for outdoor recreation in the northern United States