Our mission: To provide the basic biological and ecological knowledge and innovative management strategies required for management and control of native and non-native insect pests, disease pathogens and invasive plants in changing forest ecosystems.
Welcome to the Southern Research Station’s Insects, Diseases, and Invasive Plants Research Work Unit website. Our mission is to provide the basic biological and ecological knowledge and innovative management strategies required for management and control of native and non-native insect pests, disease pathogens and invasive plants in changing forest ecosystems. Learn more about us →
In this issue: SPB outbreak waning in Mississippi, Investigating understory plant species turnover, Laurel wilt in KY and TN, Fighting the laurel wilt fungus with fungus, Autotoxicity research, and more.
News & Events
In the past decade, sugarberry trees (Celtis laevigata) have been rapidly declining throughout South Carolina and Georgia. Alongside University of Georgia researcher Emilee Poole, USDA Forest Service scientists Scott Horn, Michael Ulyshen, and others studied the distribution and biology of the wood-boring beetle Agrilus macer to determine its role in recent sugarberry mortality.
- Revision of the spider genus Epiceraticelus (Araneae, Linyphiidae) with a description of a new species
Draney, Michael L.; Milne, Marc A.; Ulyshen, Michael ; Madriz, Gabrielle
- Field parasitism and host specificity of Oobius primorskyensis (Hymenoptera: Encyrtidae), an egg parasitoid of the emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) in the Russian Far East
Duan, Jian J.; Schmude, Jonathan M.; Larson, Kristi M.; Fuester, Roger W.; Gould, Juli R.; Ulyshen, Michael D.
- First report of laurel wilt disease caused by Raffaelea lauricola on sassafras in North Carolina
Mayfield, Albert E.; Villari, Caterina ; Hamilton, Jeffrey L.; Slye, James ; Langston, Wayne ; Oten, Kelly ; Fraedrich, Stephen
- Effect of bark application with Beauveria bassiana and permethrin insecticide on the walnut twig beetle (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in black walnut bolts
Mayfield, Albert ; Juzwik, Jennifer ; Scholer, Jamison ; Vandenberg, John ; Taylor, Adam
- Managing Effects of Drought in the Southeast United States
McNulty, Steven ; Baca, Aurelia ; Bowker, Michael ; Brantley, Steven ; Dreaden, Tyler ; Golladay, Steven W.; Holmes, Tom ; James, Natasha ; Liu, Shan ; Lucardi, Rima ; Mayfeld, Albert ; Sun, Ge ; Treasure, Emrys ; Conner, L. Mike; Smith, Lora L.; Vose, James M.