Our mission: To provide the basic biological and ecological knowledge and innovative management strategies required for management and control of native and non-native insect pests, disease pathogens and invasive plants in changing forest ecosystems.
Welcome to the Southern Research Station’s Insects, Diseases, and Invasive Plants Research Work Unit website. Our mission is to provide the basic biological and ecological knowledge and innovative management strategies required for management and control of native and non-native insect pests, disease pathogens and invasive plants in changing forest ecosystems. Learn more about us →
News & Events
New containers make it easier to monitor Laricobius beetles and Leucopis silver flies, two important predators of hemlock woolly adelgids. USDA Forest Service managers and partners have released these predators throughout the range of eastern hemlock to help control the invasive adelgids. After two years, the sites are monitored to see if the predators have become established.
- The silvics of Persea borbonia (L.) Spreng., red bay, and Persea palustris (Raf.) Sarg., swamp bay, Lauraceae (Laurel family)
Shearman, Timothy M.; Wang, Geoff G.; Mayfield, Albert E, III.
- Evidence for semiochemical divergence between sibling bark beetle species: Dendroctonus brevicomis and Dendroctonus barberi
Sullivan, Brian T.; Grady, Amanda M.; Hofstetter, Richard W.; Pureswaran, Deepa S.; Brownie, Cavell; Cluck, Daniel; Coleman, Tom W.; Graves, Andrew; Willhite, Elizabeth; Spiegel, Lia; Scarbrough, Dwight; Orlemann, Andrew; Zúñiga, Gerardo.
- Density‐dependent variability in an eruptive bark beetle and its value in predicting outbreaks
McNichol, Bailey H.; Sullivan, Brian T.; Munro, Holly L.; Montes, Cristián R.; Nowak, John T.; Villari, Caterina; Gandhi, Kamal J. K.
- Alternative formulations of trap lures for operational detection, population monitoring, and outbreak forecasting of southern pine beetle in the United States
Sullivan, Brian T; Shepherd, William P; Nowak, John T; Clarke, Stephen R; Merten, Paul R; Billings, Ronald F; Upton, William W; Riggins, John J; Brownie, Cavell.
- Semiochemicals for management of the southern pine beetle (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae): successes, failures, and obstacles to progress
Sullivan, Brian T.; Clarke, Stephen R.