A Guide to the Hitchiti Forest Research Center

  • Authors: Brender, Ernst V.
  • Publication Year: 1952
  • Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
  • Source: USDA Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station, Old Station Paper SE-019

Abstract

The Hitchiti Forest Research Center was established in 1946 by the Forest Service, USDA, to find ways and means of producing more wood in the depleted forests of lower Piedmont Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. Sixty percent of the 18-1/2 million-acre territory is in forest. The forest consists principally of even-aged stands of loblolly pine on the uplands and a mixture of oaks, hickories, yellow-poplar, and other hardwoods on the moist sites.

  • Citation: Brender, Ernst V. 1952. A Guide to the Hitchiti Forest Research Center. USDA Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station, Old Station Paper SE-019
  • Posted Date: April 1, 1980
  • Modified Date: August 22, 2006
  • Print Publications Are No Longer Available

    In an ongoing effort to be fiscally responsible, the Southern Research Station (SRS) will no longer produce and distribute hard copies of our publications. Many SRS publications are available at cost via the Government Printing Office (GPO). Electronic versions of publications may be downloaded, printed, and distributed.

    Publication Notes

    • This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
    • Our online publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact the SRS webmaster if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
    • To view this article, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.