Forests of Florida, 2012
This periodic resource update provides an overview of forest resources in Florida based on an inventory conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program at the Southern Research Station in cooperation with the Florida Forest Service. Estimates are based on field data collected using the FIA annualized sample design and are updated yearly. The estimates presented in this update are for the measurement year 2012, with comparisons made to data reported in 2007. The sample plot population in Florida consists of 7,082 plots distributed across the State, of which about 20 percent are collected annually. The 2012 estimates included 4 years of data collection that measured 5,674 plots, resulting in about 80 percent new data merged with the remaining 20 percent from 2007 to produce the updated estimates. Growth, removals, and mortality (GRM) estimates were derived from remeasurement data on 5,174 of the plots. The slightly smaller sample used for GRM estimates is due to a combination of new and/or lost plots. The data used in this publication were accessed from the FIA database on March 20, 2014 at http://www.fia.fs.fed.us/tools-data/.