Our mission: To advance the scientific understanding of the roles of genetics, environment, and their interactions toprovide guidelines and tools for improving the sustainable productivity of southern forest ecosystems.
Research at the Southern Institute of Forest Genetics (SIFG) focuses on developing procedures to improve the health, productivity and genetic diversity of southern forests through better understanding of the genetics, ecology and evolutionary relationships in forest ecosystems. Learn more about us →
News & Events
Shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata) and longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) ecosystems have been dwindling for decades. Restoration is a huge priority for the USDA Forest Service, the Longleaf Pine Alliance, the Shortleaf Pine Initiative, and many others. Restoration requires seed, and on National Forest System lands the seed comes from USDA Forest Service seed orchards. The Forest Service owns and manages 70 percent of all longleaf and 90 percent of all shortleaf orchards across the South.
- Intra-annual variation in soil C, N and nutrients pools after prescribed fire in a Mississippi longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) plantation
Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Maier, Christopher A.; Nelson, C. Dana.
- Crown architecture, crown leaf area distribution, and individual tree growth efficiency vary across site, genetic entry, and planting density
Albaugh, Timothy J.; Maier, Chris A.; Campoe, Otávio C.; Yáñez, Marco A.; Carbaugh, Eric D.; Carter, David R.; Cook, Rachel L.; Rubilar, Rafael A.; Fox, Thomas R.
- Growth, Photosynthesis, and Cold Tolerance of Eucalyptus benthamii Planted in the Piedmont of North Carolina
Butnor, John ; Johnsen, Kurt ; Anderson, Peter ; Hall, Kevin ; Halman, Joshua ; Hawley, Gary ; Maier, Christopher ; Schaberg, Paul G.
- Phenotypic variation in climate-associated traits of red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) along elevation gradients in the southern Appalachian Mountains
Butnor, John ; Verrico, Brittany ; Johnsen, Kurt ; Maier, Christopher ; Vankus, Victor ; Keller, Stephen R.
- Ecological restoration of Abies religiosa forests using Nurse plants and assisted migration in the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve, Mexico
Carbajal-Navarro, Aglaen ; Navarro-Miranda, Esmeralda ; Blanco-García, Arnulfo ; Cruzado-Vargas, Ana Laura; Gómez-Pineda, Erika ; Zamora-Sánchez, Cecilia ; Pineda-García, Fernando ; O'Neill, Greg ; Gómez-Romero, Mariela ; Lindig-Cisneros, Roberto ; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Lobit, Philippe ; Lopez-Toledo, Leonel ; Herrerías-Diego, Yvonne ; Sáenz-Romero, Cuauhtémoc