Mathew SmidtResearch Forester/Engineer
Auburn, AL 36849-5418
Research on system innovations in forest operations are directed toward improving performance and reducing cost. In some cases performance and cost improvements are coincident, like in timber harvests. In other situations like biomass fuel treatments achieving the best possible result given the economic constraint is the objective. While we often focus on machines and methods in forest operations research, the human as source of manual labor or as a machine operator is the most critical component of system performance. As a research focus the concerns are for safety and health at work, controls and interfaces than enhance system performance, training systems that help capture system potential, and redesign of systems and jobs that address a future workforce.
Why This Research is Important
Efficient forest operations are the key to achieving both landowner and public objectives in forest management. Innovation helps to expand the range of possible operations producing greater public benefits.
- Certificate in Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 2020
- Auburn University
- Phd in Forest Operations, 1996
- University of Minnesota
- MF in Forest Management, 1989
- Duke University
- Bs in Biology, 1987
- Doane College
- Professor and Extension Specialist, Auburn University
Dr Smidt developed and supported the statewide logger education and training program for Alabama and conducted a variety of applied research on logging safety, productivity, cost, and transportation
- Assistant Extension Specialist, University of Kentucky
As the timber harvesting specialist Dr. Smidt contributed the the statewide logger education program and conducted applied research in logging productivity and the environmental impacts of logging.
- National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA), Forestry Sector Chair 2012-2017 (2007—Current)
- Council of Forest Engineering, (1997—Current)
- Society of American Foresters (SAF), (1998—2018)
Awards and Recognition
- SAF Fellow, 2016
- FRA Southcentral Region Technical Writing Award, 2016
- SESAF Public Education and Technology Transfer Award, 2008
Featured Publications and Products
- Smidt, Mathew F.; Mitchell, Dana ; Baker, Hunter . 2019. Large site prep tractors for fire line establishment in southern pine stands in Alabama.
- Mitchell Dana, ; Smidt Mathew., . 2019. Costs of mechanical fuel reduction treatments.
- Smidt, Mathew F.; Kolka, Randall K. 2001. Alternative skid trail retirement options for steep terrain logging.
- Smidt, Mathew F.; Thompson, Jason ; McDonald, Tim ; Ma, Yuting . 2023. Terra-mechanical and statistical analyses of four-wheel grapple skidder performance data.
- Musah, Munkaila ; Diaz, Javier Hernandez; Alawode, Abiodun Oluseun; Gallagher, Tom ; Peresin, Maria Soledad; Mitchell, Dana ; Smidt, Mathew ; Via, Brian . 2022. Field Assessment of Downed Timber Strength Deterioration Rate and Wood Quality Using Acoustic Technologies.
- Nicholls, David ; Vaughan, Damon ; Mitchell, Dana ; Han, Han-Sup ; Smidt, Mathew ; Sessions, John . 2022. Forest Bio-Hubs to Enhance Forest Health While Supporting the Emerging Bioeconomy—A Comparison between Three U.S. Regions.
- Smidt, Mathew; Lynch, Stephanie; Schall, Mark; Sesek, Richard. 2022. Speed and whole body vibration in a sample of grapple skidders from the US South.
- Pan, Pengmin ; McDonald, Timothy ; Smidt, Mathew ; Dias, Rafael . 2022. Use of vision and sound to classify feller-buncher operational state.
- He, Mingtao ; Li, Wenying ; Smidt, Mathew ; Zhang, Yaoqi . 2022. What drives the change in employment in the US logging industry? A directed acyclic graph approach.
- Elliott, K. C.; Lincoln, Jennifer M.; Flynn, Michael A.; Levin, Jeffrey L.; Smidt, Mathew ; Dzugan, Jerry ; Ramos, Athena K. 2022. Working hours, sleep, and fatigue in the agriculture, forestry, and fishing sector: A scoping review.
- Parajuli, Manisha ; Hiesl, Patrick ; Smidt, Mathew ; Mitchell, Dana . 2021. An Evaluation of Woody Biomass and Pulpwood Market Competition within a Range of Procurement Distances.
- Mitchell, Dana ; Smidt, Mathew ; McDonald, Tim ; Elder, Tom . 2021. Issue and opportunities for salvaging storm damaged wood.
- He, Mingtao ; Smidt, Mathew ; Li, Wenying ; Zhang, Yaoqi . 2021. Logging industry in the United States: employment and profitability.
- Smidt, Mathew F.; Mitchell, Dana ; Logan, Kristi K. 2021. The potential for effective training of logging truck drivers.
- Magagnotti, Natascia ; Smidt, Mathew ; Spinelli, Raffaele . 2021. Trainee’s reactions to logger training course characteristics: data from 300 courses held in Italy.
- Parajuli, Manisha ; Hiesl, Patrick ; Smidt, Mathew ; Mitchell, Dana . 2020. Factors influencing productivity and cost in the whole-tree harvesting system.
- Granzow, Robert ; Schall, Mark C.; Smidt, Mathew ; Davis, Jerry ; Sesek, Richard ; Gallagher, Sean . 2019. Measuring the effect of tool design on exposure to physical risk factors among novice hand planters.
- Smidt, Mathew F.; Blinn, Charles R. 1999. Soil disturbance and productivity from wide-tired skidder trails in Minnesota aspen harvests.
Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, string given in /srv/web/www.srs.fs.usda.gov/staff/viewemployee.php on line 521