Emily A. CarterResearch Soil Scientist
Auburn University, AL 36849-5418
The interaction among plant biological systems, soil/hydrologic site factors and forest operations are not sufficiently understood.My component of our Unit's research program seeks to integrate these factors for the development of environmentally aware forest operations.My current research involvement is focused on soil/site disturbance assessment through ground surveys and GPS technology, impact of forest operations on soil physical properties and soil erosion, recovery of soil properties and soil sustainability.
- Ph.D. in Agronomy & Soil Chemistry, 1991
- University of Georgia, Athens
- M.S. in Agronomy & Soil Chemistry, 1981
- University of Georgia, Athens
- B.S. in Biology, 1972
- Alma College
Featured Publications and Products
- Galang, M.A.; Morris, L.A.; Markewitz, D.; Jackson, C.R.; Carter, E.A. 2010. Prescribed burning effects on the hydrologic behavior of gullies in the South Carolina Piedmont.
- Levi, M.; Shaw, J.; Wood, C.; Herman, S.; Carter, E.; Feng, Y. 2010. Land management effects on near-surface soil properties of southern U.S. coastal plain kandiudults.
- Busse, Matt D.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Ratcliff, Alice W.; Butnor, John R.; Carter, Emily A.; Powers, Robert F. 2009. Soil carbon sequestration and changes in fungal and bacterial biomass following incorporation of forest residues.
- Sword Sayer, M.A.; Eckhardt, L.G.; Carter, E.A. 2009. Nutrition challenges of longleaf pine in the southeast.
- Sanchez, Felipe G.; Carter, Emily A.; Leggett, Zakiya H. 2009. Loblolly pine growth and soil nutrient stocks eight years after forest slash incorporation.
- Parkhurst, Brian M.; Aust, W. Michael; Bolding, M. Chad; Barrett, Scott M.; Carter, Emily A. 2018. Soil response to skidder trafficking and slash application.
- Trautwig, Adam N.; Eckhardt, Lori G.; Loewenstein, Nancy J.; Hoeksema, Jason D.; Carter, Emily A.; Nadel, Ryan L. 2017. Cogongrass ( Imperata cylindrica ) affects above- and belowground processes in commercial loblolly pine ( Pinus taeda ) stands.
- Ravindran, H.; Thangalzhy-Gopakumar, S.; Adhikari, S.; Fasina, O.; Tu, M.; Via, B.; Carter, E.; Taylor, S. 2015. Production of bio-oil from underutilized forest biomass using an auger reactor.
- Thompson, Jason; Carter, Emily. 2015. Site disturbance and soil impacts resulting from mechanized thinning of upland hardwood stands in Southeastern Kentucky.
- Parkhurst, Brian; Aust, Mike; Bolding, Chad; Barrett, Scott; Vinson, Andrew; Klepac, John; Carter, Emily. 2015. Soil response to skidder and dozer traffic as indicated by soil stress residuals.
- Carter, Emily A. 2013. Erosion response of a harvested piedmont loblolly pine plantation in Alabama: preliminary results.
- Carter, E.A.; Grace, John M. III. 2011. Assessing soil impacts related to forest harvest operations.
- Robinson, Thomas J.; Via, Brian K.; Fasina, Oladiran; Adhikari, Sushil; Carter, Emily. 2011. Impregnation of bio-oil from small diameter pine into wood for moisture resistance.
- Carter, Emily A. 2011. Minimizing soil impacts from forest operations.
- Folegatti, Bruno S.; Smidt, Mathew F.; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Carter, Emily; McDonald, Timothy P. 2007. Analysis of mechanical thinning productivity and cost for use at the wildland urban interface.
- Lincoln, Chad M.; Will, Rodney E.; Morris, Lawrence A.; Carter, Emily A.; Markewtiz, Daniel; Britt, John R.; Cazell, Ben; Ford, Vic. 2007. Soil change and loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) seedling growth following site preparation tillage in the Upper Coastal Plain of the southeastern United States.
- Carter, Emily A.; Aust, W. Michael; Burger, James A. 2007. Soil strength response of select soil disturbance classes on a wet pine flat in South Carolina.
- Carter, Emily A.; Rummer, Robert B.; Stokes, Bryce J. 2006. Evaluation of site impacts associated with three silvicultural prescriptions in an upland hardwood stand in northern Alabama, USA.
- Lincoln, M. Chad; Will, Rodney E.; Carter, Emily A.; Britt, John R.; Morris, Lawrence A. 2006. Relationship between tillage intensity and initial growth of loblolly pine seedlings.
- Ayala, Renee' D.; Srivastava, Puneet; Brodbeck, Christian J.; Carter, Emily A.; McDonald, Timothy P. 2005. Modeling sediment transport from an off-road vehicle trail stream crossing using WEPP model.
- Carter, Emily A.; Fulton, John ; Burton, Brian J. 2005. Site impacts associated with biomass removals in lower Alabama.
- Ayala, Renee D.; Srivastava, Puneet; Brodbeck, Christian J.; Carter, Emily a.; McDonald, Timothy P. 2005. Water quality impacts from an ORV trail stream crossing in the Talladega National Forest, Alabama, USA.
- Miwa, Masato; Aust, W. Michael; Burger, James A.; Patterson, Steve C.; Carter, Emily A. 2004. Wet-weather timber harvesting and site preparation effects on coastal plain sites: a review.
- Sanchez, Felipe G.; Carter, Emily A.; Klepac, John F. 2003. Enhancing the soil organic matter pool through biomass incorporation.
- Hess, Nolan J.; Otrosina, William J.; Carter, Emily A.; Steinman, Jim R.; Jones, John P.; Eckhardt, Lori G.; Weber, Ann M.; Walkinshaw, Charles H. 2002. Assessment of Loblolly Pine Decline in Central Alabama.
- Carter, Emily A.; Shaw, J.N. 2002. Correlations and spatial variability of soil physical properties in harvested piedmont forests.
- Shaw, J.N.; Carter, Emily A. 2002. Timber Harvesting Effects on Spatial Variability of Southeastern U.S. Piedmont Soil Properties.
- Grace, Johnny M. III; Carter, Emily A. 2001. Sediment and Runoff Losses following Harvesting/Site Prep Operations on a Piedmont Soil in Alabama.
- Carter, Emily; McDonald, Tim; Torbert, John. 2000. Assessment of soil strength variability in a havested loblolly pine plantation in the Piedmont region of Alabama, United States.
- Carter, Emily A.; McDonald, Timothy P.; Torbert, John L. 2000. Harvest traffic monitoring and soil physical response in a pine plantation.
- Grace, Johnny M., III.; Carter, Emily A. 2000. Impact of Harvesting on Sediment and Runoff Production on a Piedmont Site in Alabama.
- Carter, E.A.; Field, J.P.; Farrish, K.W. 2000. Soil an-d nutrient loss following site preparation burning.
- Sanchez, Felipe G.; Carter, Emily A.; Klepac, John. F. 2000. Soil carbon and soil physical properties response to incorporating mulched forest slash.
- Carter, Emily A.; McDonald, Timothy P.; Torbert, John L. 1999. Application of GPS Technology to Monitor Traffic Intensity and Soil Impacts in a Forest Harvest Operation.
- Lakel, William A.; Aust, W. Michael; Carter, Emily A.; Stokes, Bryce J.; Sanchez, Felipe G. 1999. Slash Incorporation for Amelioration of Site, Soil and Hydrologic Properties on Pocosins and Wet Flats in North Carolina.
- McDonald, Tim; Carter, Emily; Taylor, Steve; Tobert, John. 1998. Relationship Between Site Disturbance and Forest Harvesting Equipment Traffic.
- Stokes, Bryce J.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Carter, Emily A. 1998. Using Biomass to Improve Site Quality and Carbon Sequestration.
- Aust, W. Michael; Burger, James A.; Carter, Emily A.; Preston, David P.; Patterson, Steven C. 1998. Visually Determined Soil Disturbance Classes Used as Indices of Forest Harvesting Disturbance.
- Carter, Emily A.; McDonald, Timothy P. 1997. Interaction Among Machine Traffic, Soil Physical Properties and Loblolly Pine Root Prolifereation in a Piedmont Soil.
- Carter, Emily; Rummer, Robert B.; Stokes, Bryce. 1997. Site disturbances associated with alternative prescriptions in an upland hardwood forest of northern Alabama.
- Rummer, Robert B.; Carter, Emily; Stokes, Bryce; Klepac, John. 1997. Strips, Clearcuts, And Deferment Cuts: Harvest Costs And Site Impacts For Alternative Prescriptions In Upland Hardwoods.