W. Henry McNabResearch Forester
Asheville, NC 28806
In my current research assignment, I obtain knowledge needed to model the composition, productivity, and distribution of relatively old and undisturbed forest vegetation in relation to environmental gradients throughout the Southern Appalachian region.
- M.S. in Forestry, 1965
- University of Florida
Featured Publications and Products
- McNab, W. Henry; Keyser, Chad E. 2011. Revisions to the 1995 map of ecological subregions that affect users of the southern variant of the Forest Vegetation Simulator.
- Villwock, Jason L.; Kabrick, John M.; McNab, W. Henry; Dey, Daniel C. 2011. Landform and terrain shape indices are related to oak site index in the Missouri Ozarks.
- McNab, W. Henry; Holbrook, James H.; Oprean, Ted M. 2010. Species composition and stand structure of a large red spruce planting 67 years after its establishment in western North Carolina.
- McNab, W. Henry. 2010. Estimating site index from tree species composition in mixed stands of upland eastern hardwoods: Should shrubs be included?.
- McNab, W.Henry. 2010. Effects of Landform on site index for two mesophytic tree species in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, USA.
- McNab, Henry W. 2022. Height of pitch and shortleaf pine is increased by intraspecific competition 13 years after planting in the Southern Appalachians.
- McNab, Henry W. 2022. Restoration planting of pitch and shortleaf pines after clearcutting a mixed hardwood stand on a ridge site in the southern Appalachians: lessons learned after 13 years.
- McNab, W Henry. 2022. The 1936 Fisher Seminars on Experimental Design at the Appalachian Forest Experiment Station.
- McNab, W Henry; Oprean, Theodore M. 2021. Composition and structure of reproduction in group selection openings after 20 years in a southern Appalachian mixed-hardwood forest.
- McNab, W. Henry; Kilgo, John C.; Blake, John I; Zarnoch, Stanley J. 2021. Effect of gap size on composition and structure of regeneration 19 years after harvest in a southeastern bottomland forest, USA.
- McNab, W Henry. 2021. Preliminary evidence that intraspecific competition increases size of restoration-planted pitch and shortleaf pines in a mixed-hardwood clearcut in the southern Appalachians.
- McNab, W. Henry; Keyser, Tara L. 2020. A vegetative index of stand productivity based on tree inventory for predicting oak site index in the Central Hardwood Region.
- Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Keyser, Tara L.; McNab, Henry; Scott, Patrick . 2019. Breeding bird response to season of burn in an upland hardwood forest.
- Berg, Erik C.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; McNab, W. Henry. 2019. Survivorship, attained diameter, height and volume of three Paulownia species after 9 years in the southern Appalachians, USA.
- Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Seiboldt, Tyler; Keyser, Tara L.; McNab, W. Henry; Scott, Patrick; Bush, Janis; Moorman, Christopher E. 2018. Reptile and amphibian response to season of burn in an upland hardwood forest.
- Berg, Erik C.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; McNab, W. Henry. 2018. Twenty-year survivorship of tree seedlings in wind-created gaps in an upland hardwood forest in the eastern US.
- Mcnab, W. Henry. 2017. Evidence that Castanea dentata persists on xeric, mid-elevation sites in the southern Appalachians.
- McNab, Henry. 2016. A preliminary model of yellow-poplar seedling establishment two years after a growing season prescribed fire in southern Appalachian oak stands.
- Smalley, Glendon W.; Torreano, Scott J.; Swinney, B. Hayes; Fulkerson, Michael R.; Barry, Ryan W.; Conrad, Joseph L., IV.; McNab, Henry. 2016. Structure and productivity of an eastern white pine plantation on two mid-Cumberland Plateau landtypes at ages 33 and 44.
- McNab, W. Henry; Stephens, Ronald B.; Mavity, Erika M.; Baggs, Joanne E.; Wentworth, James M.; Rightmyer, Richard D.; Jaume, Alex J.; Jackson, Brian D.; Joyce, Michael P. 2015. Development of an ecological classification system for the Cooper Creek watershed of the Chattahoochee National Forest: a first approximation.
- Hepp, Todd E.; Vimmerstedt, John P.; Smalley, Glendon W.; McNab, W. Henry. 2015. Estimating yields of unthinned eastern white pine plantations from current stocking in the Southern Appalachians.
- Greenberg, Katie; Collins, Beverly S.; McNab, Henry; Miller, Douglas K.; Wein, Gary R. 2015. Introduction to natural disturbances and historic range of variation: type, frequency, severity, and post-disturbance structure in central hardwood forests.
- McNab, W. Henry; Spetich, Martin A.; Perry, Roger W.; Haywood, James D.; Laird, Shelby Gull; Clark, Stacy L.; Hart, Justin L.; Torreano, Scott J.; Buchanan, Megan L. 2014. Climate-induced migration of native tree populations and consequences for forest composition.
- Keyser, T.L.; Greenberg, C.H.; McNab, H. 2014. Prescribed fire in upland harwood forests.
- McNab, W. Henry; Loftis, David L. 2013. A preliminary test of estimating forest site quality using species composition in a southern Appalachian watershed.
- Ponce Campos, G. E.; Moran, M. S.; Huete, A.; Zhang, Y.; Bresloff, C.; Huxman, T.E.; Eamus, D.; Bosch, D. D.; Buda, A. R.; Gunter, S. A.; Heartsill Scalley, T.; Kitchen, S. G.; McClaran, M. P.; McNab, W. H.; Montoya, D. S.; Morgan, J. A.; Peters, D. P. C.; Sadler, E. J.; Seyfried, M. S.; Starks, P. J. 2013. Ecosystem resilience despite large-scale altered hydroclimatic conditions.
- Campos, Guillermo E. Ponce; Moran, M. Susan; Huete, Alfredo; Zhang, Yongguang; Bresloff, Cynthia; Huxman, Travis E.; Eamus, Derek; Bosch, David D.; Buda, Anthony R.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Scalley, Tamara Heartsill; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McClaran, Mitchel P.; McNab, W. Henry; Montoya, Diane S.; Morgan, Jack A.; Peters, Debra P. C.; Sadler, E. John; Seyfried, Mark S.; Starks, Patrick J. 2013. Ecosystem resilience despite large-scale altered hydroclimatic conditions.
- Zhang, Yongguang; Moran, M. Susan; Nearing, Mark A.; Campos, Guillermo E. Ponce; Huete, Alfredo R.; Buda, Anthony R.; Bosch, David D.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McNab, W. Henry; Morgan, Jack A.; McClaran, Mitchel P.; Montoya, Diane S.; Peters, Debra P.C.; Starks, Patrick J. 2013. Extreme precipitation patterns and reductions of terrestrial ecosystem production across biomes.
- Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Keyser, Chad E.; Rathburn, Leah C.; Rose, Anita K.; Fearer, Todd M.; McNab, Henry W. 2013. Forecasting long-term acorn production with and without oak decline using forest inventory data.
- McNab, W. Henry; Berg, Erik C.; Oprean, Ted M., III. 2013. Response to prescribed burning of 5-year-old hardwood regeneration on a mesic site in the Southern Appalachian Mountains.
- McNab, W. Henry; Stephens, Ronald B.; Rightmyer, Richard D.; Mavity, Erika M.; Lambert, Samuel G. 2012. A preliminary test of an ecological classification system for the Oconee National Forest using forest inventory and analysis data.
- Clark, Stacy L.; Mcnab, Henry; Loftis, David; Zarnoch, Stanley. 2012. American Chestnut Growth and Survival Five Years after Planting in Two Silvicultural Treatments in the Southern Appalachians, USA.
- McNab, W. Henry. 2012. Effects of thinning on aboveground carbon sequestration by a 45-year-old eastern white pine plantation: A case study.
- Clark, Stacy L.; Franzreb, Kathleen E.; Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Keyser, Tara; Loeb, Susan C.; Loftis, David L.; McNab, W. Henry; O'Keefe, Joy M.; Schweitzer, Callie Jo; Spetich, Martin. 2012. Researching effects of prescribed fire in hardwood forests.
- McNab, Henry. 2011. Chapter 2 Subregional Variation in Upland Hardwood Forest Composition and Disturbance Regimes of the Central Hardwood Region.
- Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Collins, Beverly S.; Thompson, Frank R., III; McNab, William H. 2011. Introduction: what are early successional habitats, why are they important, and how can they be sustained? Chapter 1.
- Anagnostakis, S.; Clark, S.L.; McNab, H. 2011. Resistance of chestnut trees to Asia chestnut gall wasp.
- McNab, W. Henry. 2010. Stand response of 16-year-old upland hardwood regeneration to crop-tree release on a medium quality site in the Southern Appalachians after 24 years.
- Anagnostakis, S; Clark, Stacy; Mcnab, Henry. 2009. Preliminary report on the segregation of resistance in chestnuts to infestation by oriental chestnut gall wasp.
- McNab, W. Henry; Lloyd, F. Thomas. 2009. Testing ecoregions in Kentucky and Tennessee with satellite imagery and Forest Inventory data.
- Myers, Ronald J., Jr.; Roeder, Kenneth R.; McNab, W. Henry. 2008. Thinning results from a mixed upland hardwood stand after 35 years.
- Keys, J.E.; Cleland, D.T.; McNab, W.H. 2007. Delineation, peer review, and refinement of subregions of the conterminous United States.
- McNab, W.H.; Cleland, D.T.; Freeouf, J.A.; Keys, J.E., Jr..; Nowacki, G.J.; Carpenter, C.A. 2007. Description of ecological subregions: sections of the conterminous United States.
- Cleland, D.T.; Freeouf, J.A.; Keys, J.E.; Nowacki, G.J.; Carpenter, C.A.; McNab, W.H. 2007. Ecological Subregions: Sections and Subsections for the conterminous United States.
- McNab, Henry W.; Roof, Tracy; Lewis, Jeffrey F.; Loftis, David L. 2007. Evaluation of landsat imagery for detecting ice storm damage in upland forests of Eastern Kentucky.
- McNab, W. Henry; Oprean, Ted M., III.; Berg, Erik C. 2007. Prescribed burning ineffective for improving turkey habitat on a recently regenerated mesic site in southern Appalachian Mountains.
- McNab, W. Henry; Roof, Tracy. 2006. Evaluation of ikonos satellite imagery for detecting ice storm damage to oak forests in Eastern Kentucky.
- Simon, Steven A.; Collins, Thomas K.; Kauffman, Gary L.; McNab, W. Henry; Ulrey, Christopher J. 2005. Ecological zones in the Southern Appalachians: first approximation.
- McNab, W. Henry; Lloyd, F. Thomas. 2001. Preliminary evaluation of environmental variables affecting diameter growth of individual hardwoods in the Southern Appalachian Mountains.
- Mcnab, Henry W.; Lloyd, Thomas F. 1999. Assessing age- and silt index-independent diameter growth models of individual-tree Southern Appalachian hardwoods.
- Greenberg, Cathryn H.; McNab, W. Henry. 1998. Forest disturbance in hurricane-related downbursts in the Appalachian mountains of North Carolina.
- McNab, W.H. 1991. Factors affecting temporal and spatial soil moisture variation in and adjacent to group selection openings.
- McNab, W. Henry. 1989. Terrain shape index: quantifying effect of minor landforms on tree height.
- Brender, Ernst V.; McNab, W. Henry; Williams, Shelton. 1976. Fuel accumulations in Piedmont loblolly pine plantations.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /srv/web/www.srs.fs.usda.gov/staff/viewemployee.php on line 529