Wayne C. ZippererResearch Forester
P.O. Box 110806Phone: 352-376-4576
Gainesville, FL 32611-0806
Gainesville, FL 32611-0806
- Urbanization effects on ecosystem structure and function
- Urbanization effects on landscape structure, function and change
- Altered disturbance regimes and their effects on ecosystem patterns and processes and human safety
- Ph.D. in Forestry, 1987
- State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry
Featured Publications and Products
- White, Robert H.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2010. Testing and classification of individual plants for fire behaviour: plant selection for the wildland–urban interface.
- Zipperer, Wayne C. 2010. Factors influencing non-native tree species distribution in urban landscapes.
- Escobedo, Francisco; Varela, Sebastian; Zhao, Min; Wagner, John E.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2010. Analyzing the efficacy of subtropical urban forests in offsetting carbon emissions from cities.
- Zipperer, W.C.; Guntenspergen, G.R. 2009. Vegetation composition and structure of forest patches along urban-rural gradients.
- Francisco Escobedo, Francisco; Seitz, Jennifer A.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2009. Gainesville's urban forest structure and composition.
- Ouyang, Ying ; Jin, Wei ; Grace, Johnny M.; Obalum, Sunday E.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Huang, Xiaoqing . 2019. Estimating impact of forest land on groundwater recharge in a humid subtropical watershed of the Lower Mississippi River Alluvial Valley.
- Ouyang, Ying; Grace, Johnny M.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Hatten, Jeff; Dewey, Janet. 2018. A simple approach to estimate daily loads of total, refractory, and labile organic carbon from their seasonal loads in a watershed.
- Lagrosa IV, John J.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Andreu, Michael G. 2018. Projecting land-use and land cover change in a subtropical urban watershed.
- Roberts, J. ; Andreu, M. ; Inglett, K. ; Cohen, M. ; Zipperer, W. . 2018. Soil denitrification dynamics in urban impacted riparian zones throughout Tampa, FL.
- Lewis, Joshua A.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Ernstson, Henrik; Bernik, Brittany; Hazen, Rebecca; Elmqvist, Thomas; Blum, Michael J. 2017. Socioecological disparities in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina.
- Sallam, Mohamed ; Michaels, Sarah ; Riegel, Claudia ; Pereira, Roberto ; Zipperer, Wayne ; Lockaby, B. ; Koehler, Philip . 2017. Spatio-temporal distribution of vector-host contact (VHC) ratios and ecological niche modeling of the West Nile virus mosquito vector, Culex quinquefasciatus, in the city of New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Lockaby, Graeme; Noori, Navideh; Morse, Wayde; Zipperer, Wayne; Kalin, Latif; Governo, Robin; Sawant, Rajesh; Ricker, Matthew. 2016. Climatic, ecological, and socioeconomic factors associated with West Nile virus incidence in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
- Elmqvist, Thomas; Zipperer, Wayne; Güneralp, Burak. 2016. Urbanization, habitat loss, biodiversity decline: solution pathways to break the cycle.
- Staudhammer, Christina L.; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Holt, Nathan; Young, Linda J.; Brandeis, Thomas J.; Zipperer, Wayne; Other, . 2015. Predictors, spatial distribution, and occurrence of woody invasive plants in subtropical urban ecosystems.
- Friedman, Melissa H; Andreu, Michael G.; Zipperer, Wayne; Northrop, Rob J.; Abd-Elrahman, Amr. 2015. Species composition of forested natural communities near freshwater hydrological features in an urbanizing watershed of west-central Florida.
- Enloe, Heather A.; Lockaby, B. Graeme; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Somers, Greg L. 2015. Urbanization effects on leaf litter decomposition, foliar nutrient dynamics and aboveground net primary productivity in the subtropics.
- Enloe, Heather A.; Lockaby, B. Graeme; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Somers, Greg L. 2015. Urbanization effects on soil nitrogen transformations and microbial biomass in the subtropics.
- Brandeis, Thomas J.; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Staudhammer, Christina L.; Nowak, David J.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2014. San Juan Bay Estuary watershed urban forest inventory.
- McDonald, Rob; Guneralp, Burak; Zipperer, Wayne; Marcotullio, Peter. 2014. The future of global urbanization and the environment.
- Johnson-Gaither, cassandra; Schelhas, John; Zipperer, Wayne; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; Poudyal, Neelam. 2014. Water stress and social vulnerability in the southern United States, 2010-2040.
- White, R. Jonathan; Carreiro, Margaret M.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2014. Woody plant communities along urban, suburban, and rural streams in Louisville, Kentucky, USA.
- Nagy, R. Chelsea; Lockaby, B. Graeme; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Marzen, Luke J. 2013. A comparison of carbon and nitrogen stocks among land uses/covers in coastal Florida.
- Kreye, Jesse K.; Kobziar, Leda N.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2013. Effects of fuel load and moisture content on fire behaviour and heating in masticated litter-dominated fuels.
- Müller, Norbert; Ignatieva, Maria; Nilon, Charles H.; Werner, Peter; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2013. Patterns and trends in urban biodiversity and landscape design.
- Tucker Lima, J. M.; Staudhammer, C. L.; Brandeis, T. J.; Escobedo, F. J.; Zipperer, W. 2013. Temporal dynamics of a subtropical urban forest in San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2001-2010.
- Lawrence, Alicia B.; Escobedo, Fancisco J.; Staudhammera, Christina L.; Zipperer, Wayne Zipperer. 2012. Analyzing growth and mortality in a subtropical urban forest ecosystem.
- Zipperer, W.C.; Foresman, T.W.; Walker, S.P.; Daniel, C.T. 2012. Ecological consequences of fragmentation and deforestation in an urban landscape: a case study.
- Mercer, Evan; Zipperer, Wayne. 2012. Fire in the Wildland–Urban Interface.
- Zipperer, Wayne C. 2012. Landscape dynamics in the wildland-urban interface.
- Zipperer, Wayne C.; Pickett, Steward T.A. 2012. Urban Ecology: Patterns of Population Growth and Ecological Effects.
- Dobbs, Cynnamon; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2011. A framework for developing urban forest ecosystem services and goods indicators.
- Carreiro, Margaret ; Zipperer, Wayne . 2011. Co-adapting societal and ecological interactions following large disturbances in urban park woodlands.
- Zipperer, Wayne ; Morse, Wayde ; Gaither, Cassandra. 2011. Linking social and ecological systems.
- Zipperer, Wayne C. 2011. The process of natural succession in urban areas.
- Escobedo, Francisco; Seitz, Jennifer A.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2009. Air pollution removal and temperature reduction by Gainesville's urban forest.
- Escobedo, Francisco; Seitz, Jennifer A.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2009. Carbon sequestration and storage by Gainesville's urban forest.
- Escobedo, Francisco; Seitz, Jennifer A.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2009. Gainesville's urban forest canopy cover.
- Trusty, J.L.; Lockaby, B.G.; Zipperer, W.C.; Goertzen, L.R. 2008. Horticulture hybrid cultivars and exotic plant invasion: A case study of Wisteria (Fabaceae).
- Carreiro, Margaret M.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2008. Urban forestry and the eco-city: today and tomorrow.
- Zipperer, Wayne C. 2007. Applying ecosystem management to urban forestry.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2007. Culture, place and urban growth in the U.S. South.
- Trusty, Jennifer L.; Goertzen, Leslie R.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Lockaby, B Graeme. 2007. Invasive wisteria in the Southeastern United StateS: genetic diversity, hybridization and the role of urban centers.
- Zipperer, Wayne; Long, Alan; Hnton, Brian; Maranghides, Alexander; Mell, William. 2007. Mulch flammability.
- Groffman, Peter M.; Pouyat, Richard V.; Cadenasso, Mary L.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Szlavecz, Katalin; Yesilonis, Ian D.; Band, Lawrence E.; Brush, Grace S. 2006. Land use context and natural soil controls on plant community and soil nitrogen and carbon dynamics in urban and rural forests.
- Zipperer, Wayne C. 2005. Ecological Assessment and Planning in the Wildland-Urban Interface: A Landscape Perspective.
- Behm, Anna L.; Duryea, Mary L.; Long, Alan J.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2004. Flammability of native understory species in pine flatwood and hardwood hammock ecosystems and implications for the wildland-urban interface.
- Groffman, Peter M.; Bain, Daniel J.; Band, Lawrence E.; Belt, Kenneth T.; Brush, Grace S.; Grove, J. Morgan; Pouyat, Richard V.; Yesilonis, Ian C.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2003. Down by the riverside: urban riparian ecology.
- Pickett, S.T.A.; Cadenasso, M.L.; Grove, M.J.; Nilon, C.H.; Pouyat, R.V.; Zipperer, W.C. 2001. Urban ecological systems: linking terrestrial ecological, physical, and socioeconomic components of metropolitan areas.
- Dawson, Chad P.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 1992. Impacts of Land Use Changes on Recreation and Open Space in the New York-New Jersey Highlands Region.
- In-Filling Reduces the Urban Forest to the Detriment of Humans and Wildlife Habitat (2012)
- The urban landscape, because of its developed infrastructure, has less ecological services than a forested rural landscape and any further erosion of its remaining services may be detrimental to humans
- Highly Dynamic Urban Forest in San Juan, Puerto Rico. (2014)
- Between 2001 and 2010, the urban forest in the San Juan Watershed in Puerto Rico was highly dynamic. Nearly 50 percent in trees originally sampled in 2001 had been removed or had died. However, growth of new trees exceeded mortality and resulted in an average increase of 40 trees per acre. The urban forest had a mean diameter growth rate of 0.39 inch per year.
- In Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath, ecological changes driven primarily be socieconomics (2017)
- Ten years after Hurricane Katrina, vegetation analysis showed that ecological changes in New Orleans were driven primarily by socioeconomics. Household income, racial demographics, and land abandonment had greater influence on species composition and structure than disturbance duration, intensity, and type. Emergent vegetation on abandoned lots has created environmental justice issues in underserved and historically marginalized communities.