Danny C. LeeCenter Director
200 W.T. Weaver BlvdPhone: 828-257-4854
Asheville, NC 28804-3454
Asheville, NC 28804-3454
Research efforts focus on system analysis, risk assessment, and large scale ecosystem management.
- Ph.D. in Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences, 1989
- Texas A&M University
- M.S. in Ecology, 1983
- University of Tennessee
Featured Publications and Products
- Norman, Steven P.; Lee, Danny C.; Jacobson, Sandra; Damiani, Christine. 2010. Assessing risks to multiple resources affected by wildfire and forest management using an integrated probabilistic framework.
- Bruins, Randall JF; Munns, Wayne R Jr.; Botti, Stephen J; Brink, Steve; Cleland, David; Kapustka, Larry; Lee, Danny; et, al. 2010. A new process for organizing assessments of social, economic, and environmental outcomes: case study of wildland fire management in the USA.
- Pye, John M.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Sands, Yasmeen; Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S., tech. eds. 2010. Advances in threat assessment and their application to forest and rangeland management—Volume 1 and Volume 2.
- Lee, Danny C.; Irwin, Larry L. 2005. Assessing risks to spotted owls from forest thinning in fire-adapted forests of the western United States.
- Lee, Danny C.; Rieman, Bruce E. 1997. Population viability assessment of salmonids by using probabilistic networks.
- Brooks, Bjorn-Gustaf J.; Lee, Danny C.; Pomara, Lars Y.; Hargrove, William W. 2020. Monitoring broadscale vegetational diversity and change across North American landscapes using land surface phenology.
- Brooks, Bjorn-Gustaf J.; Lee, Danny C. 2019. Feasibility of pattern type classification for landscape patterns using the AG-curve.
- Hoagland, Serra J.; Beier, Paul; Lee, Danny. 2018. Using MODIS NDVI phenoclasses and phenoclusters to characterize wildlife habitat: Mexican spotted owl as a case study.
- Calkin, David E.; Ager, Alan A.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Finney, Mark A.; Lee, Danny C.; Quigley, Thomas M.; McHugh, Charles W.; Riley, Karin L.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie M. 2011. A comparative risk assessment framework for wildland fire management: the 2010 cohesive strategy science report.
- Rauscher, H. Michael; Sands, Yasmeen; Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S., tech. eds. 2010. Advances in threat assessment and their application to forest and rangeland management—Volume 2.
- Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S. 2008. 2007 accomplishment report for the Eastern and Western forest environmental threat assessment centers.
- Norman, Steven P.; Lee, Danny C.; Tallmon, David A. 2008. Developing a multiscale fire treatment strategy for species habitat management.
- Alexander III, Jack D.; Findley, Jean; Kury, Brenda K.; Beyers, Jan L.; Cram, Douglas S.; Baker, Terrell T.; Boren, Jon C.; Edminster, Carl; Ferguson, Sue A.; McKay, Steven; Nagel, David; Piepho, Trent; Rorig, Miriam; Anderson, Casey; Hoadley, Jeanne; Ford, Paulette L.; Andersen, Mark C.; Fredrickson, Ed L.; Truett, Joe; Roemer, Gary W.; Kury, Brenda K.; Vollmer, Jennifer; May, Christine L.; Lee, Danny C.; Menakis, James P.; Keane, Robert E.; Zhu, Zhi-Liang; Miller, Carol; Davis, Brett; Gray, Katharine; Mix, Ken; Kuvlesky Jr., William P.; Drawe, D. Lynn; Narog, Marcia G.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Vihnanek, Robert E.; Wright, Clinton S.; Paysen, Timothy E.; Pendleton, Burton K.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; White, Carleton S.; Rogan, John; Stow, Doug; Franklin, Janet; Miller, Jennifer; Levien, Lisa; Fischer, Chris; Underwood, Emma; Klinger, Robert; Moore, Peggy; Wright, Clinton S. 2008. Poster Session- Extended Abstracts.
- Thurow, Russell F.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Lee, Danny C.; Howell, Philip J.; Perkinson, Raymon D. 2007. Distribution and status of redband trout in the interior Columbia river basin and portions of the Klamath river and great basins.
- Weller, Theodore J.; Lee, Danny C. 2007. Mist net effort required to inventory a forest bat species assemblage.
- Haynes, Richard W.; Bormann, Bernard T.; Lee, Danny C.; Martin, Jon R., tech. eds. 2006. Northwest Forest Plan—the first 10 years (1994-2003): synthesis of monitoring and research results.
- Rieman, Bruce; Lee, Danny; Burns, Dave; Gresswell, Robert; Young, Michael; Stowell, Rick; Rinne, John; Howell, Philip. 2003. Status of native fishes in the western United States and issues for fire and fuels management.
- Thompson, William L.; Lee, Danny C. 2002. A two-stage information-theoretic approach to modeling landscape-level attributes and maximum recruitment of chinook salmon in the Columbia River basin.
- Rieman, Bruce; Peterson, James T.; Clayton, James; Howell, Philip; Thurow, Russell; Thompson, William; Lee, Danny. 2001. Evaluation of potential effects of federal land management alternatives on trends of salmonids and their habitats in the interior Columbia River basin.
- Andelman, Sandy J.; Beissinger, Steve; Cochrane, Jean Fitts; Gerber, Leah; Gomez-Priego, Paola; Groves, Craig; Haufler, Jon; Holthausen, Richard; Lee, Danny; Maguire, Lynn; Noon, Barry; Ralls, Katherine; Regan, Helen. 2001. Scientific standards for conducting viability assessments under the Nathional Forest Management Act: report and recoomendations of the NCRAS Working Group.
- Thompson, William L.; Lee, Danny C. 2000. A two-stage information-theoretic approach to modeling landscape-level attributes and maximum recruitment of chinook salmon in the Columbia River basin [electronic resource].
- Thompson, William L.; Lee, Danny C. 2000. Modeling relationships between landscape-level attributes and snorkel counts of chinook salmon and steelhead parr in Idaho.
- Wisdom, Michael J.; Holthausen, Richard S.; Wales, Barbara C.; Hargis, Christina D.; Saab, Victoria A.; Lee, Danny C.; Hann, Wendel J.; Rich, Terrell D.; Rowland, Mary M.; Murphy, Wally J.; Eames, Michelle R. 2000. Source habitats for terrestrial vertebrates of focus in the interior Columbia basin: broadscale trends and management implications (Volumes 1-3).
- Lee, Danny C.; Sedell, James R.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Thurow, Russell F.; Williams, Jack E. 1998. Aquatic species and habitats.
- Shepard, Bradley B.; Sanborn, Brian; Ulmer, Linda; Lee, Danny C. 1997. Status and risk of extinction for westslope cutthroat trout in the Upper River Basin, Montana.
- Rieman, Bruce; Lee, Danny; McIntyre, Jack; Overton, Kerry; Thurow, Russ. 1993. Consideration of extinction risks for salmonids.
- Examining Trade-offs in Wildland Fire Management Decisions (2014)
- Reducing or mitigating the negative effects of wildland fire is a major priority in communities all across the United States and must be addressed across agencies and jurisdictional boundaries. The National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy is a multiyear effort by federal agencies working with states, tribes, and other interested publics to develop an integrated and comprehensive plan to collaboratively reduce human and ecological losses from wildfire.
- Science benefits national fire planning effort (2011)
- As part of ongoing efforts to reduce human and ecological losses from wildfire, federal agencies responsible for wildland fire management are working with states, tribes, and other interested publics to develop a National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy. Scientists from the Southern Research Station Eastern Forest Environmental Threat Assessment Center (EFETAC) serve on a science and analysis team working with regional strategy committees to evaluate the relative consequences of alternative courses of action in wildland fire management. This trade-off analysis will provide important information that can be used to guide the national strategy.
- Using Forest Phenology to Understand Landscape Change (2020)
- The Landscape Dynamics Assessment Tool (LanDAT) is designed to help natural resource managers assess changing landscapes and understand how these changes impact ecosystem services. LanDAT relies on vegetation phenology to map forest changes driven by fire, land use, insects, disease, and climate.