Chris A. MaierTeam Leader/ Research Biological Scientist
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
My research focuses on understanding the ecophysiological processes that regulate forest production and how these processes respond to management and climate change. Current studies address productivity/sustainability under intensive silviculture, the relationship between silviculture and carbon sequestration, inter- and intra-specific genetic variation in ecosystem productivity and water use, long-term responses to elevated CO2, and short-rotation biomass for bioenergy. The scale of study ranges from gas exchange and biochemistry of leaves, woody tissues, and fine roots, to biomass production and the partitioning and allocation of carbon within plants, to stand level carbon, water, and nutrient dynamics.
- Ph.D. in Forest Biology, 2000
- North Carolina State University
- M.S. in Forest Biology, 1990
- University of Georgia
- B.S. in Biology, 1983
- West Georgia College
Featured Publications and Products
- Maier, Chris A.; Albaugh, Timothy J.; Cook, Rachel I.; Hall, Kevin; McInnis, Daniel; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Johnson, John; Rubilar, Rafael A.; Vose, James M. 2017. Comparative water use in short-rotation Eucalyptus benthamii and Pinus taeda trees in the southern United States.
- Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Dougherty, Phillip; McInnis, Daniel; Anderson, Pete; Patterson, Steve. 2012. Effect of Harvest Residue Management on Tree Productivity and Carbon Pools during Early Stand Development in a Loblolly Pine Plantation.
- Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Clinton, Barton D.; Ludovici, Kim H. 2009. Relationships between stem CO2 efflux, substrate supply, and growth in young loblolly pine trees.
- Clinton, Barton , D..; Maier, Chris , A..; Ford, Chelcy , R..; Mitchell, Robert , J. 2011. Transient changes in transpiration, and stem and soil CO2 efflux in longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) following fire-induced leaf area reduction.
- Tyree, Michael C; Seiler, John R; Maier, Christopher. 2011. Short-term impacts of soil amendments on belowground C cycling and soil nutrition in two contrasting Pinus taeda L. genotypes.
- Ghezehei, Solomon ; Nichols, Elizabeth ; Maier, Christopher ; Hazel, Dennis . 2019. Adaptability of Populus to physiography and growing conditions in the southeastern USA.
- Wang, Na ; Palmroth, Sari ; Maier, Christopher A.; Domec, Jean‐Christophe ; Oren, Ram . 2019. Anatomical changes with needle length are correlated with leaf structural and physiological traits across five Pinus species.
- Butnor, John ; Johnsen, Kurt ; Anderson, Peter ; Hall, Kevin ; Halman, Joshua ; Hawley, Gary ; Maier, Christopher ; Schaberg, Paul G. 2019. Growth, Photosynthesis, and Cold Tolerance of Eucalyptus benthamii Planted in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Butnor, John; Verrico, Brittany; Johnsen, Kurt; Maier, Christopher; Vankus, Victor; Keller, Stephen. 2019. Phenotypic Variation in Climate-Associated Traits of Red Spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) along Elevation Gradients in the Southern Appalachian Mountains.
- Maier, Christopher A.; Burley, Joel; Cook, Rachel; Ghezehei, Solomon B.; Hazel, Dennis W.; Nichols, Elizabeth G. 2019. Tree water use, water use efficiency, and carbon isotope discrimination in relation to growth potential in Populus deltoides and hybrids under field conditions.
- Acuña, Eduardo ; Rubilar, Rafael ; Cancino, Jorge ; Albaugh, Timothy J.; Maier, Chris A. 2018. Economic assessment of Eucalyptus globulus short rotation energy crops under contrasting silvicultural intensities on marginal agricultural land.
- Albaugh, Timothy J.; Rubilar, Rafael A.; Maier, Chris A.; Acuña, Eduardo A.; Cook, Rachel L. 2017. Biomass and nutrient mass of Acacia dealbata and Eucalyptus globulus bioenergy plantations.
- Kim, Dohyoung; Oren, Ram; Clark, James S.; Palmroth, Sari; Oishi, A. Christopher; McCarthy, Heather R.; Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt. 2017. Dynamics of soil CO 2 efflux under varying atmospheric CO 2 concentrations reveal dominance of slow processes.
- Pile, Lauren S.; Maier, Christopher A.; Wang, G. Geoff; Yu, Dapao; Shearman, Tim M. 2016. Responses of two genetically superior loblolly pine clonal ideotypes to a severe ice storm.
- Maier, Christopher; Anderson, Peter; Butnor, John R.; Dougherty, Phillip M.; Johnsen, Kurt; Mcinnis, Daniel. 2016. Temporal and spatial patterns of soil CO2 efflux, soil carbon, and root biomass associated with bedding in young loblolly pine plantations.
- Johnsen, Kurt H.; Creighton, Jerre L.; Maier, Chris A. 2015. Longleaf pine grown in Virginia: a provenance test.
- Tyree, Michael C.; Seiler, John R.; Maier, Chris A. 2014. Contrasting genotypes, soil amendments, and their interactive effects on short-term total soil CO2 efflux in a 3-year-old Pinus taeda L.
- Albaugha, Janine M.; Domeca, Jean-Christophe; Maier, Chris A.; Sucre, Eric B.; Leggett, Zakiya H.; King, John S. 2014. Gas exchange and stand-level estimates of water use and gross primary productivity in an experimental pine and switchgrass intercrop forestry system on the Lower Coastal Plain of North Carolina, U.S.A.
- Gonzalez-Beneke, Carlos A.; Gezan, Salvador; Albaugh, Tmothy J.; Allen, H. Lee; Burkhart, Harold E.; Fox, Thomas R.; Jokela, Eric J.; Maier, Christopher; Martin, Timothy A.; Rubilar, Rafael A.; Samuelson, Lisa J. 2014. Local and general above-stump biomass functions for loblolly pine and slash pine trees.
- Johnsen, Kurt H.; Keyser, Tara L.; Butnor, John R.; Gonzalez-Beenecke, Carlos A.; Kaczmarek, Donald J.; Maier, Chris A.; McCarthy, Heather R.; Sun, Ge. 2014. Productivity and carbon sequestration of forests in the southern United States.
- Tyree, Michael; Seiler, John; Maier, Chris. 2013. Site-specific forest management: matching genotypes and silviculture to optimize carbon sequestration.
- Tyree, Michael; Seiler, John; Maier, Chris. 2010. Effects of nutrient and organic matter manipulation on carbon pools and fluxes in a young loblolly pine varietal stand on the lower coastal plain of South Carolina.
- Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H. 2010. Quantifying carbon sequestration in forest plantations by modeling the dynamics of above and below ground carbon pools.
- Pritchard, Seth G.; Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Grabman, Andrea J.; Chalmers, Anne P. 2010. Soil incorporation of logging residue affects fine-root and mycorrhizal root-tip dynamics of young loblolly pine clones.
- Tyree, Michael; Seiler, John; Maier, Chris; Johnsen, Kurt. 2009. Pinus taeda clones and soil nutrient availability: effects of soil organic matter incorporation and fertilization on biomass partitioning and leaf physiology.
- Domec, Jean-Christophe; Palmroth, Sari; Ward, Eric; Maier, Chris; Therezien, M.; Oren, Ram. 2009. Acclimation of leaf hydraulic conductance and stomatal conductance of Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) to long-term growth in elevated CO2 (free-air CO2 enrichment) and N-fertilizationpce.
- Tyree, Michael C.; Seiler, John R.; Maier, Chris A. 2009. Short-term impacts of nutrient manipulations on leaf gas exchange and biomass partitioning in contrasting 2-year-old Pinus taeda clones during seedling establishment.
- Samuelson, Lisa J.; Butnor, John; Maier, Chris; Stokes, Tom A.; Johnsen, Kurt; Kane, Michael. 2008. Growth and physiology of loblolly pine in response to long-term resource management: defining growth potential in the southern United States.
- Maier, Chris A.; Palmroth, Sari; Ward, Eric. 2008. Short-term effects of fertilization on photosynthesis and leaf morphology of field-grown loblolly pine following long-term exposure to elevated CO2 concentration.
- Johnsen, Kurt; Maier, Chris; Sanchez, Felipe; Anderson, Peter; Butnor, John; Waring, Richard; Linder, Sune. 2007. Physiological girdling of pine trees via phloem chilling: proof of concept.
- Sampson, D.A.; Waring, R.H.; Maier, C.A.; Gough, C.M.; Ducey, M.J.; Kohnsen, K.H. 2006. Fertilization effects on forest carbon storage and exchange, and net primary production: a new hybrid process model for stand management.
- McCarthy, Heather R.; Oren, Ram; Kim, Hyun-Seok; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Maier, Chris; Pritchard, Seth G.; Davis, Michael A. 2006. Interaction of ice storms and management practices on current carbon sequestration in forests with potential mitigation under future CO2 atmosphere.
- Miller, Ashley T.; Allen, H. Lee; Maier, Chris A. 2006. Quantifying the coarse-root biomass of intensively managed loblolly pine plantations.
- Maier, Chris A.; Clinton, Barton D. 2006. Relationship between stem CO2 efflux, stem sap velocity and xylem CO2 concentration in young loblolly pine trees.
- Palmroth, S.; Maier, Chris A.; McCarthy, Heather R.; Oishi, A. C.; Kim, H. S.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Katul, Gabrial G.; Oren, Ram. 2005. Contrasting responses to drought of forest floor CO2 efflux in a loblolly pine plantation and a nearby Oak-Hickory forest.
- Johnsen, Kurt H.; Maier, Chris A.; Kress, Lance W. 2005. Quantifying root lateral distribution and turnover using pine trees with a distinct stable carbon isotope signature.
- Gough, Christopher M.; Seiler, John R.; Wiseman, P. Eric; Maier, Christopher A. 2005. Soil CO2 efflux in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) plantations on the virginia Piedmond and South Carolina coastal plain over a rotation-length chronosequence.
- Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Maier, Chris A. 2005. Soil properties differently influence estimates of soil CO2 efflux from three chamber-based measurement systems.
- Johnsen, Kurt; Teskey, Bob; Samuelson, Lisa; Butnor, John; Sampson, David; Sanchez, Felipe; Maier, Chris; McKeand, Steve. 2004. Carbon Sequestration in loblolly pine plantations: Methods, limitations, and research needs for estimating storage pools.
- Maier, Chris A.; Albaugh, Timothy J.; Allen, H. Lee; Dougherty, Phillip M. 2004. Respiratory carbon use and carbon storage in mid-rotation loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) plantations: the effect of site resources on the stand carbon balance.
- Gough, C.M.; Seiler, J.R.; Maier, Chris A. 2004. Short-term effects of fertilization on loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) physiology.
- Johnsen, Kurt; Major, John E.; Maier, Chris A. 2003. Selfing results in inbreeding depression of growth but not of gas exchange of surviving adult black spruce trees.
- Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Butnor, John; Kress, Lance W.; Anderson, Peter H. 2002. Branch growth and gas exchange in 13-year-old loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) trees in response to elevated carbon dioxide concentration and fertilization.
- Lai, Chun-Tai; Katul, G.; Butnor, J.; Siqueira, M.; Ellsworth, D.; Maier, C.; Johnsen, Kurt; Mickeand, S.; Oren, R. 2002. Modelling the limits on the response of net carbon exchange to fertilization in a south-eastern pine forest.
- Booker, Fitzgerald L.; Maier, Christopher A. 2001. Atmospheric carbon dioxide, irrigation, and fertilization effects on phenolic and nitrogen concentrations in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) needles.
- Johnsen, K.H.; Butnor, J.R.; Maier, C.; Oren, R.; Pangle, R.; Samuelson, L.; Seiler, J.; McKeand, S.E.; Allen, H.L. 2001. Fertilization Increases Below-Ground Carbon Sequestration of Loblolly Pine Plantations.
- Johnsen, Kurt H.; Wear, David N.; Oren, R.; Teskey, R.O.; Sanchez, Felipe; Will, Rodney E.; Butnor, John; Markewitz, D.; Richter, D.; Rials, T.; Allen, H.L.; Seiler, J.; Ellsworth, D.; Maier, Christopher; Katul, G.; Dougherty, P.M. 2001. Meeting global policy commitments carbon sequestration and southern pine forests.
- Johnsen, Kurt H.; Wear, Dave; Oren, R.; Teskey, R.O.; Sanchez, Felipe; Will, R.; Butnor, John; Markewitz, D.; Richter, D.; Rials, T.; Allen, H.L.; Seiler, J.; Ellsworth, D.; Maier, Christopher; Katul, G.; Dougherty, P.M. 2001. Meeting global policy commitments: carbon sequestration and southern pine forests.
- Oren, Ram; Ellsworth, David S.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Phillips, Nathan; Ewers, Brent E.; Maier, Chris; Schafer, Karina V.R.; McCarthy, Heather; Hendrey, George; McNulty, Steven G.; Katul, Gabriel G. 2001. Soil fertility limits carbon sequestration by forest ecosystems in a CO2-enriched atmosphere.
- Sampson, David A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Ludovici, Kim H.; Albaugh, Timothy J.; Maier, Chris A. 2001. Stand-scale correspondence in empirical and simulated labile carbohydrates in loblolly pine.
- Maier, Chris A. 2001. Stem growth and respiration in loblolly pine plantations differing in soil resource availability.
- Maier, Chris A.; Kress, L.W. 2000. Soil CO2 evolution and root respiration in 11 year-old Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda) Plantations as Affected by Moisture and Nutrient Availability.
- Groninger, John W.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Seiler, John. R.; Will, Rodney E.; Ellsworth, David S.; Maier, Chris A. 1999. Elevated Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere: What Might It Mean for Loblolly Pine Plantation Forestry.
- Maier, Chris A.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; Dougherty, P.M. 1998. Effects of temperature and tissue nitrogen on dormant season stem and branch maintenance respiration in a young loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) plantation.
- Maier, Chris A.; Teskey, R.O. 1992. Internal and external control of net photosynthesis and stomatal conductance of mature eastern white pine (Pinus strobus).
- I Water Use of Intensively Managed Eucalyptus Plantations Studied (2014)
- In parts of the southern U.S., short-rotation Eucalyptus plantations have the potential to substantially increase forest productivity for biomass and bioenergy but high productivity of Eucalyptus is associated with high water use. Forest Service scientists compared Eucalyptus productivity and water use to those of traditional pines in the southeastern U.S.