Rima LucardiResearch Ecologist
Athens, GA 30602-2044
I possess a broad training in the fields of biology, ecology, and population genetics. My research focuses on mitigating and preventing exotic plant invasions in Southern forest communities. I utilize diverse approaches at various scales to elucidate generalizable characteristics associated with biological invasions. I combine the basic tenets of invasion biology with conservation biology to better address the needs of forest communities. I utilize both population and landscape genetics to identify the vectors and pathways that disperse propagules of undesirable plant species and range expansion dynamics in the invaded range. These data can then be utilized for more effective management of available resources by identifying target populations that source new invasive populations.Research Features
- CompassLive Weekly (Southern Research Station's Online Magazine; USFS Twitter) 17 June 2014 “Why is Cogongrass So Successful at Invading the South?” by Z. Hoyle.
- Natural Inquirer - Middle School Science Education Journal YouTube Channel: Dr. Lucardi on Genetics and Ecology.
- Schulz, Ashley N.; Mech, Angela M.; Asaro, Christopher; Coyle, David R.; Cram, Michelle M.; Lucardi, Rima D.; Gandhi, Kamal J.K. 2018. Assessment of abiotic and biotic factors associated with eastern white pine ( Pinus strobus L.) dieback in the Southern Appalachian Mountains.
- Schulz, Ashley N.; Mech, Angela M.; Cram, Michelle M.; Asaro, Christopher ; Coyle, David R.; Lucardi, Rima D.; Lucas, Sunny ; Gandhi, Kamal J.K. 2018. Association of Caliciopsis pinea Peck and Matsucoccus macrocicatrices Richards with eastern white pine ( Pinus strobus L.) seedling dieback.
- Enloe, Stephen F.; Lucardi, Rima D.; Loewenstein, Nancy J.; Lauer, Dwight K. 2018. Response of twelve florida cogongrass (imperata cylindrica ) populations to herbicide treatment.
- Whitney, Thomas D.; Cram, Michelle M.; Barnes, Brittany F.; Yao, Jiangming ; Lucardi, Rima D.; Gandhi, Kamal J.K. 2018. Tree-level distribution of a novel insect-pathogen complex and its potential contribution to eastern white pine dieback.
- Lucardi, Rima; Wallace, L.E.; Ervin, G.N. 2014. Evaluating hybridization as a potential facilitator of successful cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica) invasion in Florida, USA.
- Lucardi, Rima D.; Wallace, Lisa E.; Ervin, Gary N. 2014. Invasion success in Cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica): A population genetic approach exploring genetic diversity and historical introductions.