- How have and will changes in pine plantation acreage influence wildlife habitat and associated wildlife species, populations and communities.
- Address how fire exclusion and management has shaped the structure of wildlife habitat.
- Address how standard silvicultural practices, such as clearcutting and selective harvesting; nonstandard silvicultural practices, such as high-grading; and other forest management practices, such as site preparation, artificial regeneration have influenced the distribution of tree species, including species that produce hard mast and the resultant effects on wildlife.
- Evaluate how forest-based recreation influences the structure and function of terrestrial ecosystems.
- Evaluate the impacts of various corridors, including power lines, pipelines, roads, and canals, on terrestrial ecosystems.
- Identify the causes and impacts of forest fragmentation on the structure and function of terrestrial ecosystems.
- Link projected future characteristics with anticipated demands for southern timber for various product types--i.e., hardwood and softwood fiber and sawtimber, if possible.