Our mission is to develop and disseminate knowledge and strategies for restoring, managing, sustaining, and enhancing the vegetation and wildlife of southern upland hardwood forests. Learn more about us →
News & Events
The lack of oak regeneration in the eastern United States is not a new concern. USDA Forest Service scientist Tara Keyser recently published results of a legacy study initiated by her predecessor David Loftis (retired). The study provides new insight into the understudied high elevation northern red oak (Quercus rubra) forest community and the factors that affect regeneration success.
- Guidelines for securing and planting upland oak seedlings in the Southern Region
Clark, Stacy; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Warwell, Marcus; Crane, Barbara; Rodrigue, Jason.
- Impacts of oak-focused silvicultural treatments on the regeneration layer nine years posttreatment in a productiv
Beasley, C.; Carter, D.R.; Coates, T.A.; Keyser, T.L.; Greenger, C.H.
- Genotypic variation and plasticity in climate-adaptive traits after range expansion and fragmentation of red spruce ( Picea rubens Sarg.)
Prakash, Anoob; DeYoung, Sonia; Lachmuth, Susanne; Adams, Jacquelyne L.; Johnsen, Kurt; Butnor, John R.; Nelson, David M.; Fitzpatrick, Matthew C.; Keller, Stephen R.
- The drought response of eastern US oaks in the context of their declining abundance
Novick, Kimberly; Jo, Insu; D
- North American tree migration paced by climate in the West, lagging in the East
Sharma, Shubhi; Andrus, Robert; Bergeron, Yves; Bogdziewicz, Michal; Bragg, Don C.; Brockway, Dale; Cleavitt, Natalie L.; Courbaud, Benoit; Das, Adrian J.; Dietze, Michael; Fahey, Timothy J.; Franklin, Jerry F.; Gilbert, Gregory S.; Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Guo, Qinfeng; Hille Ris Lambers, Janneke; Ibanez, Ines; Johnstone, Jill F.; Kilner, Christopher L.; Knops, Johannes M. H.; Koenig, Walter D.; Kunstler, Georges; LaMontagne, Jalene M.; Macias, Diana; Moran, Emily; Myers, Jonathan A.; Parmenter, Robert; Pearse, Ian S.; Poulton-Kamakura, Renata; Redmond, Miranda D.; Reid, Chantal D.; Rodman, Kyle C.; Scher, C. Lane; Schlesinger, William H.; Steele, Michael A.; Stephenson, Nathan L.; Swenson, Jennifer J.; Swift, Margaret; Veblen, Thomas T.; Whipple, Amy V.; Whitham, Thomas G.; Wion, Andreas P.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Zlotin, Roman; Clark, James S.