Our mission is to develop and disseminate knowledge and strategies for restoring, managing, sustaining, and enhancing the vegetation and wildlife of southern upland hardwood forests. Learn more about us →
News & Events
Oak regeneration is an oft-discussed topic in forestry. The trees aren’t sustainably generating in many upland temperate forests due to a variety of factors — including the fact that they are less competitive than other, more sun-loving species such as tulip poplar. One way that forest managers are responding to this issue is artificial oak regeneration. This approach consists of sowing acorns in a nursery, growing seedlings for one year, and then planting the best seedlings in areas where the species isn’t regenerating well on its own.
Meet Cathryn (Katie) H. Greenberg, a research ecologist with the Upland Hardwood Ecology and Management unit located at the Bent Creek Experimental Forest in Asheville, North Carolina. Her research focuses on how disturbances, both natural and management-based, affect animal communities and food resources for wildlife in forests.
When a cold snap killed the Eucalyptus benthamii saplings, no one was surprised. E. benthamii is one of the most cold-tolerant of approximately 700 Eucalypts. Still, it is maladapted to the North Carolina Piedmont, according to a recent USDA Forest Service study published in Forest Science.
- Effects of thinning and prescribed fire frequency on ground flora in mixed Pinus-hardwood stands
Barefoot, Carson R.; Willson, Kevin G.; Hart, Justin L.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Dey, Daniel C.
- Growth, Photosynthesis, and Cold Tolerance of Eucalyptus benthamii Planted in the Piedmont of North Carolina
Butnor, John ; Johnsen, Kurt ; Anderson, Peter ; Hall, Kevin ; Halman, Joshua ; Hawley, Gary ; Maier, Christopher ; Schaberg, Paul G.
- Phenotypic Variation in Climate-Associated Traits of Red Spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) along Elevation Gradients in the Southern Appalachian Mountains
Butnor, John; Verrico, Brittany; Johnsen, Kurt; Maier, Christopher; Vankus, Victor; Keller, Stephen
- Asian needle ant ( Brachyponera chinensis ) and woodland ant responses to repeated applications of fuel reduction methods
Campbell, Joshua W.; Grodsky, Steven M.; Halbritter, Dale A.; Vigueira, Patrick A.; Vigueira, Cynthia C.; Keller, Oliver ; Greenberg, Cathryn H.
- Eight-year blight (Cryphonectria parasitica) resistance of backcross-generation American chestnuts (Castanea dentata) planted in the southeastern United States
Clark, Stacy L.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Saxton, Arnold M.; Baird, Richard