Our mission is to develop and disseminate knowledge and strategies for restoring, managing, sustaining, and enhancing the vegetation and wildlife of southern upland hardwood forests. Learn more about us →
News & Events
“Researchers haven’t really studied cliffs as foraging areas for bats,” says USDA Forest Service scientist Susan Loeb. “When so little is known about that habitat, it can be hard to gauge the impacts of different uses or management plans.” Rapid growth in technical climbing has put rock climbers in the same spots as bats. How compatible are the two?
Used incorrectly, fire can degrade wood quality and its value as timber. When should managers use prescribed fire in hardwood stands? prescribed-fire-north-alabamaA dormant season prescribed fire burns through a hardwood stand in northern Alabama. Photo by Callie Schweitzer, USFS. “I field a lot of questions from state and local partners about the long-term effects of using prescribed fire in hardwood stands,” says USDA Forest Service scientist Callie Schweitzer.
Amphibians and reptiles tend to be most active during the spring and summer, when it’s warmer. A recent USDA Forest Service study compared how herpetofauna respond to prescribed fires conducted during the growing season – when vegetation is actively growing – versus those in dormant season months.
- Effects of thinning and prescribed fire frequency on ground flora in mixed Pinus-hardwood stands
Barefoot, Carson R.; Willson, Kevin G.; Hart, Justin L.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Dey, Daniel C.
- Growth, Photosynthesis, and Cold Tolerance of Eucalyptus benthamii Planted in the Piedmont of North Carolina
Butnor, John ; Johnsen, Kurt ; Anderson, Peter ; Hall, Kevin ; Halman, Joshua ; Hawley, Gary ; Maier, Christopher ; Schaberg, Paul G.
- Asian needle ant ( Brachyponera chinensis ) and woodland ant responses to repeated applications of fuel reduction methods
Campbell, Joshua W.; Grodsky, Steven M.; Halbritter, Dale A.; Vigueira, Patrick A.; Vigueira, Cynthia C.; Keller, Oliver ; Greenberg, Cathryn H.
- Eight-year blight (Cryphonectria parasitica) resistance of backcross-generation American chestnuts (Castanea dentata) planted in the southeastern United States
Clark, Stacy L.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Saxton, Arnold M.; Baird, Richard
- Season of burn effects on vegetation structure and composition in oak-dominated Appalachian hardwood forests
Keyser, Tara L.; Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Henry McNab, W.